Wednesday, May 13, 2015

judging the speck

Over the past few years I've made a realization that has changed my outlook on life immensely. It has changed my view on friendships, on my faith and my relationship with Jesus. It's even changed how I see myself. It's kinda a big deal. And I already know that not everyone out there is going to agree with me on it. And that's okay because I'm speaking what God has placed on my heart, not everyone else's.

I realized that I don't want to live my life judging other people for the choices they make. Because it's not my job. (If it was my job, I'd be really horrible at it!) Now that doesn't mean that I don't have some very strong opinions about things in this life. And I've tried hard to base those opinions on my beliefs from the Word of God. I'm actually a very conservative person! And I am not afraid to speak my opinions when the time is appropriate (in other words: when God leads me to speak them).

However, (and this is the big "however"!) I struggle to believe that being judgmental towards a person is going to lead them to Jesus. 

"Let me tell you what I think of your life: ........and now do you want to come to church so you can be more like me?"  Ha! That thought makes me laugh!

And I seem to remember also that when I'm pointing out someone's speck, I always have this huge plank sticking out of my own eye (Matthew 7:3). I mean, seriously, people, have you ever created that mental cartoon picture in your head? A well-meaning fella (or gal) is trying to help a buddy get a speck out of his eye while he himself has a 2x4 sticking out of his own eye! That's great humor, God!!

I'm thinking that maybe God had a different approach in mind when He sent us out into all the world. "Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34.  

You know what the best part of this scripture is? "As I have loved you." Because I am telling you, you are not perfect. You have faults. You disobey. You sin. You can be selfish and thoughtless. You have put other things before God. I'd venture to say you have probably lied and have displayed a rebellious attitude toward God. And I know this because I have done it all! And yet: He loved me. Despite who I am and what I have done, He loved me. He still loves me now! 

And that is not all. He commands us to love others in the same way: despite their imperfections, their failings, their sinful natures, their different beliefs. 

Maybe I've got this all backwards, but here's what I plan on doing: I'm going to go ahead and keep my very conservative beliefs. But instead of shoving them down someone's throat, I'll share them when God prompts me to. And until that time comes, I will display the type of love that I think Jesus would when He walked this earth. 

Because to be quite honest, that is how I'd like to be treated, as Jesus would have treated me.

KC



No comments:

Post a Comment