Sunday, July 24, 2016

words 20 years later

I attended my 20th class reunion a couple of weeks ago (I know you're all wondering how I can be old enough to be attending a 20 year reunion, but it's because I graduated from high school when I was 10 years old...that sounds plausible, right?!) I found it interesting listening to stories and memories from my classmates and how negative many of those memories were...

It's amazing the baggage that we can carry for so many years. We must be so influential during our high school years because those words that were said to us and the deeds done - they stick! They shape us and haunt us for years to come. 

People, it's been 20 years and there are still scars being carried by myself and others who graduated with me. And the frightening thing for me is that, although I wasn't intentionally mean or vindictive as a high schooler, I probably said or did things that hurt others. 

I'm not the same person I was in high school, time and life have a funny way of changing a gal, but I still carry a small suitcase of hurts from that period of my life, and I know I'm not the only one who has that little suitcase packed, despite my maturity (because you'd think I could grow up and get over it, right?!). It's hard to let go. 

Words.

I'm in my mid-30's (I'm going to stay in my mid-30's until I'm 45...) and I am still learning the weightiness of my words. I try to make sure I hear my words through someone else's ears. And I try to be clear and concise in my wording. (Please take note of the word "try" because I fail a whole lot despite my efforts!) 

So here's my thought for today: Speaking should always require thinking first. 

No matter how old you are, no matter who you are talking to, always try to use tact. Because you never know what scars you might be creating for someone else. 



KC



No comments:

Post a Comment