Monday, June 18, 2012

blessed daily

This evening I was doing some reflecting and went to my husband to comment about how "lucky" we were.  Then I changed my wording to say how "fortunate" we were.  And then I realized, we are just plain blessed!  There is no luck, no fortune involved.  I need to work harder to get those words out of my vocabulary.  All good is from the Lord.  We are BLESSED!

It's quite easy to get caught up in what someone else has that we don't have.  Some people never seem to have to worry about money.  Others effortlessly maintain a beautiful house, car, children, and hair.  And still others seem to manage to avoid all trials and struggles that life often brings.  Not fair.  At least it feels that way.

And that's when it's time for me to take a step back.  My niece just got back from a mission trip to Guatemala.  My husband took a trip to Cambodia earlier in the year.  Trips like that open your eyes to conditions so much worse than the piddly little things we worry about here.  My children are healthy and happy (usually).  There is always food on the table.  We have 2 working vehicles.  Our air conditioning works.  We sleep in comfy beds.  We have automatic sprinklers.  There is no major disease happening in our family.  We have access to healthcare (not getting political here: compared to many, the fact that we have healthcare available to us should be considered a blessing).  Our water is clean.  We have family members that live nearby, that support us and that love us.  And so, so much more.

But most of all, my family has been saved.  By the grace of God, we have salvation.  Greatest gift ever.

Every once in a while, it's important to step back just to see how blessed we are.  No, not every once in a while.  I think it should be a daily thing.  Amidst the dissatisfaction that this world offers, we should daily be searching for our blessings. 

So what blessings have you acknowledged today?

KC


2 comments:

  1. : ) Glad to see you writing again! I read both posts. AND I decided you need to write a children's book : ) !!! Translating the Word into stories and lessons we understand. I thought this after thinking~ Shoot I can read this BLOG to the boys maybe they will GET it : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you bless me every time you leave a comment! Thank you so much!

    I have actually thought about writing a children's book. Sometimes when I want my daughter to understand a difficult concept of the Bible, I draw her a picture so she understands it better. Now, if I could just add a few more hours to my day...

    ReplyDelete