Wednesday, June 20, 2012

tee ball and influence

My daughter plays tee ball. She's the only girl on the team. She tries her best, stands a head taller than all the boys, and runs a bit like a girl. She uses the coach's pink bat (with swirls) that he brings just for her. She loves playing first base because in tee ball, that's where all the action is.  She bats left handed (because that's what her Daddy taught her) and throws with her right.  She insists on wearing a ponytail because she can stick it through the back of her hat to keep it on when it's windy.  She tells me she's going to play tee ball until she's a grown-up.

You know why I think she likes tee ball so much? I think it's because she knows that baseball is her Daddy's favorite sport. He practices with her and works on her technique. He's patient with her and encourages her. Every once in a while she'll watch a couple innings of the Angels on TV with him (whenever we can get it) and cheers for his team because it's her favorite also.

This is such a good reminder to me of how we influence our children.  Our passions can very easily become their passions.

As I've reflected on this is the past, it's helped me try to pick wisely what I invest my time in.  My kiddos are watching me closely. Sometimes my sinful, selfish nature gets in the way and I have to try and shove it aside so I can set a good example for them. 

Above all else, my kids need to see God in my life. They need to see me reading the Bible. They need to hear me pray. They need to hear me offer Bible-based advice. They need to see me treat others as Christ would. They need to see me give to others, deny myself, exercise patience and self-discipline, and rely on God. They need to see my trying my best to exemplify Jesus in my life.

Looks like I've got a lot to work on.
KC

1 comment: