Tuesday, April 12, 2016

different

We are all so different from one another.

The older I get, the more I realize how true that is. We were all raised differently wth various ideals and world views taught to us by parents who loved us or perhaps by selfish parents who wanted to pass on their thoughts, right or wrong. We each carry different strengths and weaknesses. Our perspective on life is created by life experiences, upbringing, religion, and our very own personal natures. Even our brains work differently. 

It's amazing, really, how God could create so much variety. Not a one of us is identical to anyone else. My dad was an identical twin. Although the similarities were uncanny and trippy (my brothers and I actually got a kick out of the two of them), my dad and his twin were not the same person.

No one thinks the way you do.
No one has the same perspective and beliefs exactly like you.
No one carries the same strengths and weaknesses that you do.

Yet we expect people to act just like we would in each situation and get frustrated and disappointed when they don't.

I struggle the most with this in my own home, with the people I love the most.

I don't understand why my daughter gets so easily frustrated and angry at life.
I don't understand my son's infatuation with farting and all things gross.
I don't understand why my husband doesn't get a kick out of my humor!
(Dumb, punny jokes are the best. Just sayin'.)

But lately I've been trying to step back and look through the eyes of my loved ones. (Please take note of the word "trying.") My daughter is not as laid back about life as I am and likes things to be fair. My son is a boy, need I say more? And my husband, well he just doesn't appreciate a good joke when he hears one. I can still make him smile with my corny-ness, but he's mostly shaking his head and laughing at how ridiculous I am. I'll take it! (I love to see him smile).

Understanding.

I think that's the best way to describe my approach to living in a world full of.... well, people. People are everywhere. Some are difficult. Some are mean. Some are amazing. Every one of them is different, and the best way to live in a world of different people is to step back and try to look at life through their eyes. To understand them. 

I cannot pop into my daughter's head to think and feel exactly what she is thinking and feeling. But I can try to understand what it is like to struggle with life not being fair and to deal with the instant feelings of frustration when things don't go her way.

I cannot find the same joy and satisfaction in farts and gross things, like my son does. But I can step back and try to understand why these things would be hilarious to a seven year old boy. And just let him be a seven year old boy!

Maybe it's time for us all to start handling people with more grace and understanding. After all, you're different too.

KC


No comments:

Post a Comment