Sunday, April 17, 2016

look for the good

In the past I, certain I've written about looking for the good in life, searching for the silver lining, all that good stuff.

But lately I've been trying to teach my kids that lesson on a different level: with each other!

They bicker and fight and yell. Maybe that's a reflection on my parenting, but I'm willing to bet, after all the conversations I've had with other moms, that this behavior is primarily just because they are kids. 

But it's getting me down to see my kids constantly tearing each other down so I'm implementing a new rule: anytime they start bickering with each other, I stop them and make them compliment/encourage one another in 3 different areas. 

The other day I pulled over two times to make them stop bickering and build each other up...and it was on the same road! 

My hope in doing this is to redirect their focus on the good things they see in one another instead of focusing on the negative. I want them to value their relationship and I'm hoping this practice will foster that attitude.

And this isn't just good practice for kids, in my opinion. I think it's good in marriage too. I happen to have a perfect husband (*ahem* brownie points, please!) but on the rare occasion when I'm irritated with him, I find myself focusing on that frustration, and then focusing on any other frustration that might have happened in the past couple of days and suddenly I've lost all vision of the good man he is. 

But when I'm totally frustrated, I try to look for the good. My husband has immense amounts of good. But two or three irritations can make a gal lose sight of all that good. I have found it to be a helpful practice to mentally remind myself of all the value that man holds in my life. And I appreciate him that much more. 

Keep looking for the good, people!!
Tha good in our children.
The good in our spouses.
The good in this world.
It's out there - but sometimes you've got to search for it.

KC





No comments:

Post a Comment