Monday, May 14, 2012

amc's relay for life

I just wanted to promote one of my favorite events, coming up this weekend.  Ripon is hosting the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life.  This event is simply amazing.  Even if your life hasn't been touched in some way by cancer, you will find this weekend to be an emotional one.

The Relay begins on Saturday morning and will continue for 24 hours with people walking the track at the local high school the entire 24 hours.  The purpose for the continual walking around the track is to demonstrate that cancer never takes a break - and we will never stop trying to find a cure. 

During those 24 hours, various teams will be participating and will have mini fundraisers happening on the track.  There will be delicious meals available for purchase.  There will be entertainment on the stage.  There will be raffles and prizes to be won.  You will see men, women, and children wearing their purple shirts.  These are the amazing survivors of cancer. 

As I write about this event, many faces and names keep coming to mind of people who have been diagnosed with cancer just in the last year.  I heard somewhere that 1 in 4 people will be diagnosed with cancer.  Sometimes, when I am in a group of friends or family, I imagine the "what if".  What if it is one of us?  I look at my children and hope and pray that it will never be one of them. 

This year, I will not be able to participate because of a conflict in my schedule.  But as the day approaches, my heart aches to be there.  It has been a part of my life for nearly 7 years.  My children look forward to it every year.  We come home dusty and dirty and a bit tired from walking.  But it is worth it: we feel like we might just have accomplished a little something to help bring cancer to an end.

Five years ago, I had the privilege of being a Team Captain for the Relay while my Dad battled cancer (and when people say "battle," they truly mean that it is a battle to fight this war-waging disease).  Just about a month before the Relay took place that year, my Pa passed away.  To say that the Relay that year was emotional would be an understatement.  But that year, it became more to me than raising money to find a cure.

That year, it was about remembering and honoring those who had fought the fight.  It was about celebrating those who were walking survivors!  It was about cheering on those who were in the midst of their own battle.  (It is this way every year, but this particular year was when it became real to me.)

If you have a bit of time on Saturday (most of the events take place on Saturday, into the evening as well) and can stop by the Ripon High track, you won't regret it.  You might have to walk a little distance to get there, but it will be well worth it.

 And if you do, stop by and say "hi" to my wonderful gal pals who are walking on the MOMS Club team!  I did get to make some signs for the activities that they are doing.  So a little bit of me will be there.  Look for these signs:






If you'd like to see the schedule of events for those two days, click here and scroll down, way down.   Or to go to Ripon's main page, you can find it here.
KC









No comments:

Post a Comment