Tuesday, October 20, 2015

live

One of my husband's aunts passed away a little over a week ago. She was 70 and had cancer. I considered her my aunt as well because she treated me as nothing less than family from the day I met her. She was a wonderful woman and I loved being in her company. Her no-nonsense attitude always made me smile and she always seemed to have a positive outlook on things. When we visited her in Canada, she was a fantastic hostess, always stuffing us to the gills with food and drink and making sure we were entertained. Her kids quickly adopted me in as one of their cousins and her grandkids made fast friendships with my kiddos. 

So when Aunt Jean passed away, I struggled with the reality of it. Because she was family and how do you deal with family passing away when they live so far away from you? 

This evening I finally allowed myself to deal with reality and watched the 20 minute video of the pictures of her life. 

When you watch the pictures of the people whose lives she was a part of, it becomes reality because suddenly you aren't just looking at memories, but now at empty spaces in those people's lives. Each family member and friend will no longer be creating memories or taking pictures with her. 

And you know what? That sucks. It just plain bites. Because Aunt Jean was wonderful and those people got cheated out of another 20+ years with her. I got cheated out of seeing her smile one more time and enjoying her funny stories and warm hugs and great company. 

Death sucks. 

So live. This became my focus after my Pa died. To create memories. Spend time with those who are important. Let them know you love them. Take chances, risks, do things with people. Build bonds. Live full. Do all I can to live as God has called me: to the fullest, with no regrets. 


And take pictures of it all. Because when you make it up to heaven, those pictures and the memories that go with them will be the glue that holds the rest of us to you until we get to join you. 

Miss you, Aunt Jean
Miss you, Pa

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment