Thursday, October 29, 2015

life interrupted

This week was a mess. All of my best laid plans were pretty much flushed down the toilet. Between a couple of unscheduled doctors appointments for Lincoln, a late evening that lead to an emotional bedtime for Jayne, and a day off from the kids (which is valuable time for this mom) which turned into a day with my oldest in tow, everything I was trying to accomplish fell to the wayside.

I've learned something about myself over the past couple of years. I don't really like it when things don't go according to plan. Schedules are planned, goals are set, everything is on the calendar and in the lesson plans and then: BLAM-O!! Life gets interrupted. A kiddo gets sick, an emergency arises, a car breaks down. And life is RUINED!!

Well, maybe not. But it can feel that way! And then the rest of the day/week/month is messed up and how are you going to catch up and how far behind are you going to be and how are you going to breathe?!?! 

We had this a while back when my kids were home sick from school off and on for two weeks. And when my boy ended up with hand, foot, and mouth disease and I ended up sleeping on the floor with him because it was the most comfortable place for him. And again during the great lice scare of 2014. Oh goodness, I don't wish that on anyone! 

And each time it happened, I looked at the week ahead and freaked out. 

And each time it happened, God reminded me of my priority: my family. Everything else could wait. 

And each time it happened, He was there to help me (us) get back on track with life again.

Nowadays when I have a day or two or ten that set me back, I don't freak out...quite as much as I used to. I breathe, I remember my priorities and then I deal with the interruption. 

And then I ask God to give me a bit of a break before the next one comes along! 

He's got this. We might not feel like we do, but He does. And honestly, that's the only way I find an ounce of peace in life's interruptions. 

(And thanks to spellcheck, I now know how to spell "interruption" correctly!)

KC


No comments:

Post a Comment