Thursday, January 18, 2018

10 things i can't live without

I was chatting with a good gal pal of mine and we got to brainstorming about what we couldn't live without. It ranged from special people to food to kitchen gadgets and so on and so forth. I thought I'd fill you in on my Top Ten!

So here are the Top Ten Things I Currently Can't Live Without:
("Currently," because some items are seasonal. I love my flip flops in the summer, but currently I can live without them!)
(Also, I chose not to include people and food because those need to be their very own special lists, ya know? I can't very well just throw cheese into the middle of a list including non-stick pans! It deserves its own list. Shucks, I might just have to have a list dedicated to my favorite CHEESES! Coming soon...)

10. Non-Stick Pans (bet you didn't see that one coming!) I'm telling you what, though: with two kids learning how to cook, non-stick is the only feasible way for me to keep my sanity and save my money. I LOVE that my kids know how to make scrambled eggs. I do NOT love the idea of cleaning out a pan with crusty pieces of dried up egg all over it. So non-stick it is. PLUS: my children can easily wash the pan without complaining. "Can" and "do" are two different words though, folks...

9. Vaseline Lip Therapy - this is my saving grace for my lips. One of my gal pals bought me a little container of this a few years back and I used it ALL THE TIME! There are probably 7 little containers of this stuff currently hiding around my house. When my kids were little, they used to get really chapped lips, like the kind that makes them look like they tried to put lipstick on but ended up coloring outside the lines. I would wait until they fell asleep and then cover their lips with this stuff, just really slather it on them! They would twitch as I put it on, but I didn't care: this stuff absolutely works! And the containers are just so stinking cute!


8. My Glorious Crockpot - There's not much more I can say. The name alone signifies a stressless afternoon while dinner cooks in the crockpot, just waiting for me to take it out as delicious pulled pork, stew, potato soup, or white chicken chili...I see another list forming.

7. Blankets - I'm sitting at my desk currently covered in a blanket. My children each have a minimum of 4 blankets in their rooms. My bed has three on it and I have foregone the sheet in favor of sleeping with a blanket on me because it is soft and warm immediately when I climb into bed. I refuse to count how many blankets are in my house for fear of your criticisms...

6. Brawny brand Select-A-Size Paper Towels - We will never buy anything other than these paper towels. Call us paper towel snobs. We will gladly own up to it. I buy a lot of generic things but paper towels and toilet paper are not among those things. Uh-uh. No way.

5. Mason Jars - Quite possibly the most versatile objects in my home, I have mason jars in pretty much every room of my house! We use them for drinking glasses, to hold pencils, pens, and paintbrushes, for collecting stray Lego pieces (because those sets are expensive, y'all!), and for floral bouquets. I have a small one for business cards, a taller one with succulents growing out of it, a couple of change jars, and some were actually used for canning salsa and hot pepper jelly! Imagine that...

(Isn't this exciting?! Getting closer to #1... Yes, I'm a dork for lists, but I know I'm not the only one. My gal pal who brainstormed this list with me is a list dork too!)





4. Large Desk Calendar - I tried using my phone and even my iPad calendars. They just didn't cut it. I've used day planners and smaller pocket calendars, but the best way I can keep my life organized, the way that actually works for me is with a huge desk calendar. I need to see it all. I don't know why my brain works that way, it just does, so I go with it.

3. Ticonderoga Pencils - I do not allow any other type of pencils in my house. If I see a cute Christmas pencil, I throw it away. I have purged myself of all pencils that crack and break, the ones that never sharpen, and the ones where the stupid lead just slides on out of it. Life is TOO SHORT TO DEAL WITH STUPID PENCILS!

(Okay, calm yourselves. I know we're close to #1 but I'm telling you: I'm not that exciting of a person and I don't want you to be disappointed. But you've made it this far so you might as well keep reading. You're learning some interesting things about me, to say the least. And you either thing I'm weird or that we might be kindred spirits. I'm good with both.)

2. Music - this is an absolute necessity in my house. I listen to music in the morning, when we're driving around town, when I'm in a bad mood, while I'm cooking dinner, when I'm trying to distract my children from being ornery ding dongs, when I'm in a good mood, when I feel like dancing (which is a pretty regular feeling for me). Music is a gift. God knew what He was doing when He gave us that gift. (HA! God knew what He was doing every time He did any thing! But you get my point here, I'm sure.) Music is a part of everyday life. It is in the store you shop in, the movies you watch, the church you attend - it's everywhere! I am so grateful for music's role in saving my sanity on some pretty rough days...

AAAAAAANNNNNDDDDD....................

1. PINTEREST. Yes, you read through that entire list just to get to this one: Pinterest. Whoever created Pinterest is a genius!! If you haven't used it yet, you might just be missing out on the best thing to happen to your life. Want a recipe? BOOM! A funny quote? BOOM! A meme that perfectly fits a conversation you are having with your bestie: TA-DAH!! Want to DIY some project? Or learn about chickens? Find the right scripture from Psalms? Or grow a garden, find an essential oil recipe, figure out your next tattoo, discover how to generate a 6 figure income as a stay-at-home mom (yeah...), find educational activities for your kids, how to get a stain of any sort out of any kind of material, learn the difference between Paleo, Whole 30, Keto, and Alkaline Diets, figure out how to curl your hair better, or wear make up better, or how to install your own hardwood floors.... THE LIST OF IT ALL NEVER ENDS!!!! I am telling you: I use this app a million times a day and that is not an exaggeration. Unless exaggeration means excessive, in which case I might be exaggerating a bit, but I do use it a whole lot! I can honestly say that my life is better because of the Pinterest app.

And there you have it, folks: tonight's exciting List of Things I Can't (or maybe don't want to) Live Without. For those of you who read last night's blog, stay tuned: my Forty Before 40 list is coming soon!

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment