Wednesday, September 25, 2013

intentional encouragement

You ever just have someone say something that ruined your day? I have. Got me down. In the dumps and sometimes it takes me all day long to figure out what made me bummed out to begin with.  When I remember what was said, I have to have a pep talk with myself and tell myself to get over it! Or sometimes I go to my awesomely encouraging husband who thinks I do no wrong (except maybe exaggerate the truth once in a while) and he gently lets me know that I am being too sensitive. And by gently I mean that he tells me to get over it too, but nicely.

All that being said, I know that sometimes I have let careless, un-thought-through (yes, a real word - I used hyphens) words come out of my mouth and have had to go back to friends to apologize just in case they were offended by my un-thought-throughness. 

So then that makes me think: how often are we intentional about building someone up, encouraging, uplifting? Not just noticing their fabulously bejeweled hat, or the new polka-dotted pedicure (although I have had lifted spirits simply by someone complimenting me on my hair !) No, I mean looking for something to say that will encourage them for the rest of their day, or week, or perhaps will stick with them the rest of their lives. Did you know that your words posess that kind of power? Well, believe it. They do.

You are a good mom - I see how much you care about your childrens' hearts.
You are so helpful - always thinking of others. I really appreciate that.
I love your smile. It brightens up my day every time I see it! (I really think we need to encourage each other to smile more.)
I know you're struggling right now, but I see your determination! Don't give up!!
I enjoy watching you with your students - the kids sure do love you! (Teachers always need encouragement - they put up with our rug rats every day!)
I know you can't see this right now, but this trial is making you stronger and someday you will look back and see that.
You are a great hostess! I love coming to your events.
Thank you for the gift - you are so thoughtful, you never forget my birthday! (No one will ever say that to me...I stink at birthday remembering).
I love coming to your house for lunch - you are such a great cook.

Goodness, once I got started I realized that coming up with encouraging words isn't that difficult.  It simply means taking a look at the person God has in front of you and figuring out what might lift their heart. 

Intentional encouragement.

Who will you see tomorrow that you can intentionally encourage? Face to face? In an email? Text? Phone call? Facebook? Hand written letter? These days there are so many ways to encourage that you really don't have an excuse not to!

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment