Tuesday, September 24, 2013

more than blurbs

Sometimes God gently tells you something that you need to hear. Other times He stands in front of your face, grabs your hands, starts to bop you with your own fists and says, "Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself!!" It's just that obvious. Lately, He's been that obvious to me.

I'm pretty sure that God is trying to get me in a better praying habit. Long story short: it's lacking in my life and so many people I love and care about need it, including myself sometimes...well, okay, all the time.

I never thought I could be a prayer warrior. I always imagine an old lady, up till all hours of the night, fervently praying for someone in need. The lady who gets a phone call that someone is ailing and sets right to work, interceding, praying with passion, commitment, determination, and dedication. That ain't me. (Maybe in 55 years when I am old, because I'm not planning on getting old until I'm 90.)

But maybe He's got something else in mind for me. Maybe something far down the road that He needs me practicing for right now. Or maybe it is the "right now" that desperately needs my prayer. Whatever the case, I don't think my short blurbs to God are cutting any more. 

Don't get me wrong; those blurbs are valuable! Sometimes I need to lift something or someone up as I see the need, even if it is a short request. And sometimes you just have to show immediate gratitude for the beautiful way God works in your life.  And sometimes the kids need to hear a little prayer for safety as you are driving in traffic.  Those blurbs are woven into the day so that I can stay in constant conversation. 

But I need more. That's what God's telling me. Depth. More listening. More time without distraction (Ha!). You know, that type of heart-revealing conversation that you reserve for your best friend. More.

Time to start dedicating a specific time in my day for the much needed conversation with God.  Time.  Hmmm... Maybe that's the first thing I need to pray for: time.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment