Tuesday, March 10, 2015

a dumb request

A long time ago, before I knew better, I made the choice to ask God for patience. I thought it was a good idea at the time, a virtue that God would want me to have.

That might have been a mistake.

Fast forward from high school to getting married and having children and that virtue I had asked for really started to form. First of all, it took over a year to get pregnant. That was emotionally distressing all on its own. Then, I don't care who you are, if you carry a baby in your body for 9 months, you are learning patience. As cute as that bump was to start out with, by then end of my pregnancies, I was more than happy to say good-bye to the huge basketball-shaped belly. 

And then babies turn into toddlers, who take forever to potty train. Then they become little tykes who need constant training in everything over and over and over again. Then onto school-aged children who have homework!! 

And then, if you're lucky like me, and you get that amazingly challenging strong-willed kiddo who has the determination of a bull (bulls are determined creatures, right?), then you are not only going to get that patience virtue, but also long-suffering! You should see me when she's picking out a brand new pair of shoes (insert exaggerated eye roll here)!

Oh friends, don't make the same choice that I did: requesting patience. Because you might find out that it comes with some side effects such as learning to be content in any and all circumstances. You might find yourself with a better attitude than many folks around you. Your longer fuse could end up saving you in an argument, keeping hurtful words to yourself. You might find yourself being more selfless, thoughtful, and even considerate.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't ask for patience unless you really want it, because God has some crazy ways of creating it within you. 

But if you have kids, then I'm sorry to say that you are already well on your way! 


KC

No comments:

Post a Comment