Monday, March 16, 2015

stuff and things

I like things. And there is stuff all over my house. Most of the stuff and things are reflections of my family and me. This quilt across my lap is the first one I ever made, created for my husband, who was my fiancĂ©e at the time. The coffee table that my feet are sitting on was a project that has been painted and sanded and turned into a piece of shabby chic gorgeousness. My family pictures were taken by my dear friend, Sheroba and are on display in a couple of vintage frames above the fireplace. My piano was a housewarming gift from my parents when my husband and I moved into our first home. Personal touches are everywhere. 

But stuff is just that: stuff. 

A while back I realized that my life should not be so consumed with all that I have, or don't have, or want to have. And that there are far more important investments to be made.

My focus has shifted to creating memories. With my husband, my friends, and especially my kids. This means saying yes to more adventures and play dates, and a busier schedule. But it is so worth it. Watching my kids climb over rocks in the river, bike rides to get a snack at the local gas station, frisbee at the park, dancing in the family room to loud music, camping trips, creating science messes in the kitchen with baking soda and vinegar - these are the things that I hope will stick in my kids' minds as fond memories with Mom. 

Which brings me to another investment: relationships, which also take time. Relationships with God, my family, friends. Let me just tell you about my friends: they make me laugh. They build me up when I am at my lowest. I can cry with them, share my heart with them, and not be judged for my imperfections by them. We go to the movies, we sit in each other's family rooms, we text, and send each other silly pictures of each other. 

I won't deny that I still enjoy a great looking pair of shoes and a sound system that has amazing bass. And the Bath and Body hand soaps are my favorite! 

But when I'm old and wrinkly, I want to keep my memories and the people who I created them with close by me. 

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment