Friday, August 7, 2015

fun parenting?

Parenting is hard work. Sometimes it is a pain in the neck. It's frustrating. Aggravating. Irritating, even!
There are moments when I think, on a very surface level, that becoming a parent was not such a good idea. 😜

But I decided a few years back that parenting should be fun also. Not just "go to the movies and eat popcorn" fun, or " go to Disneyland" fun.  More like intentional, everyday choices to have fun, to enjoy our time together.

My kids and I lip sync in the truck when we drive around town. 

We hold short dance parties in the Family Room on a regular basis.

We have Family Game Night a couple times a month. (Our current favorite is Spot It!)

We have a small trampoline in the middle of the Family Room because: fun.

We tell funny, goofy jokes and tease each other a LOT.

We have ticklefests often because those giggles are the best.

We came up with a bunch of Slug Bug phrases: 
MiniCoop, Whoop Whoop! 
Jeep Jeep beep beep!
Cruiser Bruiser!

I'll admit that we take a lot of selfies together, but a majority of them are as goofy as we can be.

We build forts. We make messes. We get artsy and crafty and science-y. 

I don't think God intended for parenting to be a drag. 
Hard work? Yes, because the hard work of parenting grows us. 
But a bummer? No.

Sure, lthere is a lot to take serious in this world and it's easy to get caught up in competition, in planning out our kids' futures when they're 4 years old. We want to make sure they have the best, learn the best, are the best, and that's when the fun goes away. 

This "at-home" training lasts for a decent while: minimum of about 18 years. I don't know about you, but I think that is a pretty good portion of my life and I would sure hate to waste it being too serious. So we find the fun because I want to enjoy as much of this parenting thing as possible.

And it turns out that I think my kids are pretty great. I kinda like hanging out with them...usually. (Now that my son has figured out how to make fake tooting noises, hanging out with him in public isn't always my favorite. 😜)

KC


No comments:

Post a Comment