Sunday, November 29, 2015

unconditional

Life has a funny way of constantly reminding me that I'm not perfect. Every day, even good days, are filled with all these little reminders of how far I am from perfection. It's REALLY annoying!

My bathroom counter can't seem to keep itself cleaned, followed closely by the rings in the toilet. 
Every time I grab mayo or ketchup from the door of the fridge, I see the yuck that needs to be wiped out...or just covered back up by the ketchup bottle.
I'm pretty sure I yell at my kids at least once a day.
You should see me try to give myself a pedicure.
I forget birthdays all the time.
I mentally respond to texts but forget to physically respond later.
I hate grocery shopping. I forget my list all the time.
There are fingerprints and face prints that just remain on mirrors and windows.
Sometimes I feed my kids Spaghettios for lunch.
I discover random bruises on my legs because apparently I forget how clumsy I am.
Chocolate is a weakness, as is caffeine.
I hit the snooze on my alarm more than once in the morning. Usually a minimum of 3 times (but I allow for that lapse of time when I set the alarm, so that's good, right?!)
I frequently over toast the toast in our toaster oven so the kids won't eat it and I have to eat the oversized croutons myself.

And these are just a few of the ones I'm willing to publicly admit! 

You know, reading through a list like that and thinking of all the failures and imperfections that I see in myself every day, it's easy to feel discouraged. I can get down on myself very quickly. That's no fun. That feeling can make for a really difficult day.

But God is aware. He knows when I get down. And it seems that lately He has been consistently reminding me that His love for me is not dependent on my perfection. His love is unconditional. Do you fully understand that? I'm not sure that I even do because I am not capable of so fullness a love such as His. 

His love is not conditional upon how often I clean the shower, how much money I make, if my hair is looking fabulous or in a ponytail...again. He loves me when I'm in a bad mood, when I'm crying, amd when I lash out.

Do you know how much of a relief that is? When the rest of the world has expectations and expresses disappointment in my failings, He is still loving me, despite me. 

He knows my heart like no one else. He knows that I am trying to stay on the narrow path but that I struggle daily with weaknesses and temptations. 

He loves me like no one else is capable of doing.
Unconditionally.

KC 

No comments:

Post a Comment