Thursday, May 19, 2016

even when it's awkward

Parents, if there is one thing I can ask of you or even beg of you: please talk to your children. 
Open communication doors from an early age.
Even when it's uncomfortable or awkward.
Even when you're not sure what to say.
Even when the subject matter is difficult.
Do not miss opportunities to speak truth into them, to teach them, to direct them, to be there for them.

Three times today alone I have talked to 3 different people about communication with children and how important it is. Kids struggle, even big kids, and when they have no one to talk to, they are alone in their struggles. 

Kids are stressing these days. Anxiety and depression are prevalent. And it's not just teens and college kids. It's starting young - kiddos younger than my daughter (10 yrs) are dealing with panic attacks and stomach aches brought on by stress. I remember having stomach aches since before 4th grade and nervousness through Jr. High and High School and then anxiety from HS into college and into the first few years of my marriage. 

But my parents opened the doors of communication early on for me. They did this by showing me a love that was stronger than my fear of condemnation. I knew that no matter what I talked to them about, even if it was difficult, they would still love me on the other side. They didn't always understand what I was going through, but I could still talk to them knowing that they wouldn't make me feel stupid about it. 

Because of my parents, a couple of understanding friends, and an amazing husband, I came through all of that a stronger person who was supported the entire way through the turmoil. 

My parents communicated with me. They listened to me. Now I do the same with my kids so that when life gets overwhelming, they will know that they are not alone.

Life is too difficult to go through alone, especially as a child.

KC 

No comments:

Post a Comment