Thursday, February 18, 2016

if I'm going to be honest

(Ha! That's a funny title for one of my posts! I'm always honest, perhaps to a fault and maybe you don't want to hear it anymore. But if it gets to that point, then I guess you could just stop reading, right?)

(I suppose I should get back to my point so I don't forget what I'm writing about.)

The other day I started reading an article that was written by a homeschooling mom who was discussing the comments that other people make about how it must be tough be around her kids all day, what a drag. Her response was one of indignation and that she was tired of people assuming that she needed a break and that she didn't enjoy her time with her kids.

I stopped reading at that point. 

Because if I'm going to be honest, I don't like being with my kids all the time. There are times when it is a drag. I do need a break once in a while. And if I kept reading that article I would have spiraled down a tunnel of guilt that I don't need to add to the hurricane of short-comings that I already feel. 

You don't have to be a homeschooling mom to want a break from the kids once in a while. Parenting turned out to be 50x harder than everybody led on. It is the most challenging experience of my life. I am not ashamed to admit (ok, maybe a little ashamed to admit) that once everyone is asleep, I often head into the pantry to see what kind of junk food snack I can find to reward myself for making it through the day. Because the day is hard!! (I did not saying it is healthy or wise or that I endorse the habit. I'm just sayin' that I do it and I'm betting I'm not the only one.)

I love my kids fiercely, passionately. And I value the time I have with them.

But I also value the time I don't have with them. 

Because mommys have got to breathe. And if we take some time to breathe once in a while, we'll come back refreshed and ready to tackle this whole parenting thing all over again. 

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment