Monday, February 8, 2016

weird kids

If I don't write this post soon, my daughter will be super bummed out. She sparked the idea for this post and keeps asking me if I've written it yet. She's relentless (which you already know, if you've read any of her long ol' texts to me 😳). 

The other day she and Lincoln were chatting in the backseat of the truck about being weird and they both agreed that they liked being weird. I kinda beamed with pride as I drove us home but asked them why they thought it was so great to be weird?

And then came the fruit: "Remember when you told us, Mom, to take pride in being different? That it was a good thing to not be just like everyone else, but to be proud of the things that make us unique? That's why we like being weird!!"

BOOM!! 

This topic first came up a while back when I chatted with my kids about being homeschooled. They were suddenly different from just about everyone else they knew. And other kids ask questions. And kids make them feel bad and call them "weird" because they aren't just like everyone else. Believe it or not, my 2 children have gotten a lot of guff, from other kids AND adults, because they are homeschooled. That's tough on my kids. 

But I strive to teach them that being different is a good thing. You know my biggest reason why? 

It's not just because I want my kids to have confidence in who they are as God's uniquely created children, although that is a huge part of it.

I want my kids to appreciate "different" so when they see "different" they won't make fun or bully, but will high-five the other person for being different.

I know we've still got a ways to go before my kids can appreciate and/or respect the many kinds of "different" but I figure if I start early, then maybe my kids will turn out to be inclusive instead of exclusive. 

Our world needs a bit more inclusiveness.

KC


No comments:

Post a Comment