Tuesday, February 2, 2016

this strawberry-blonde of mine

How to survive (and by survive I mean be proud of the accomplishment of something crazy difficult in life. And by accomplishment, I mean not drowning) a day in the life of raising a strawberry-blonde daughter (and by strawberry-blonde I mean strong-willed, emotional, stubborn thing of amazingness and beauty). 

1. Roll out of bed mentally steeling yourself for the day ahead. Say to yourself, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." over and over until you pretty much believe it. (Completely believing it is pretty much impossible when you have years of experience with this child. Just sayin'.)

2. Avoid going downstairs until you have yourself all put together for the day because you are going down to a potential battlefield and might not escape to get back upstairs until you are war torn and exhausted.

3. Start the morning with a smile and hug because YOU have to be the grown up who sets the tone for the day as well as the good example of a positive attitude. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO FAKE IT!

4. Get your brain in "lawyer mode" knowing that you are going to be up against a strong debater who has not yet figured out how to separate logic from emotion. Crying, moping, yelling, and back talking are all to be expected.

5. Have your discipline arsenal full and be ready to execute at a moment's notice: no slumber party this weekend, no electronics today or tomorrow or for the rest of the month, no playing outside, no playing inside, no playing, no shopping for the rest of 2016.

6. Go! Tackle the day! Fight the good fight! Love through the frustration! Build up when you want to tear down! Try! Try! Try! And know that you are not perfect, you will make mistakes, but God's got you covered with His grace. 

7. When the day is done (after tying your strawberry-blonde child to the bed), sit your tired body down and rest. Zone out. Veg. Don't think. Give yourself a freaking break! 

Because tomorrow you'll do it all over again. 

And it is the most important battle you will ever fight. 

I'm proud of you.

KC

(*And for those of you who don't know me very well, I don't regard the parenting of a strong-willed child as a horrible experience. This is written in jest for those parents who understand how exhausting and difficult it is to raise amazing strong-willed kids. I consider it a privilege, even when I'm at my wit's end. I wouldn't change my girl for anything. Someday, she will accomplish great things for His kingdom. Just you wait and see!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment