Tuesday, September 13, 2016

not so personally

So, here we are, back to my late night thoughts.

As I thought about what I should write this evening, I kept coming back to a realization I had regarding my incredibly amazing 11-year-old daughter who also happens to be incredibly strong-willed and who happens to be very opposite of my personality (at least when I was a little girl) and who happens to drive me crazy!!

I homeschool this red-headed beauty of mine so you could say that we see each other a lot. A LOT. And when you see someone frequently, there is definitely opportunity for you to get on each other's nerves.

We get on each other's nerves. A lot. This results in "discussions" a lot. And disagreements a lot.

And this mom gets frustrated. A lot.

Earlier this week it struck me through a conversation that a very good mom friend of mine and I were having, that I take my daughter too personally. That maybe I'm not the bad guy, but that life is the bad guy and she needs to take it out on someone, so who better to take it out on than someone you know who already loves you unconditionally, even when you are a pain in the butt?!

Maybe I need to stop taking her frustrations so personally and I should start showing this 11-year-old more grace.

After all, when I've had a rough, frustrating, upsetting day, I don't have a problem heading to God to complain about it. And He's always willing to show me grace, despite my attitude.

So I guess it looks like I've got a few more lessons in patience to learn and I need to react less and to think a little more before I talk. And I've got to put myself in her 11-year-old shoes. And I've got to learn to be the mature one...

When do I get to stop growing up?!?!

KC



No comments:

Post a Comment