Monday, October 10, 2016

the virtue of baseball

Goodness, I wish this game would just end so that I could write without the distraction!

A lot of people think baseball is a boring sport. Yeah, sometimes it is. But the crazy thing about baseball is that the game can change in an instant! I mean tonight is a perfect example of it! Most of the game belonged to the Cubs till they approached the 9th inning. GAME CHANGED!! And here we sit in the 13th inning, waiting for the next exciting play to finish off the game. And when that exciting play comes, fans are gonna go CRAZYSAUCE!!! Because honestly, the anticipation is killing each of us who is watching the game. I'm not even a Cubs fan or Giants fan and I'M anxious!!

(Look, Honey, I'm doing a sports analogy - aren't you proud?! Here it comes...)

Our 2 kids live in a world of "I want this and I want it right now!" Not because they are spoiled or because that's is a regular occurrence around this house. But that is how the world around us is working these days. You want something? Run out and get it. Or, order it through Amazon Prime real quick. It'll get here tomorrow. TV show? Instantly streamed through Netflix or Hulu or whatever. Snack? Microwave it. Something to keep them occupied? iPad/iPod/iWhatever. Want to hear a particular song? iTunes. (People, when I was a teen, I would wait days, and I mean DAYS, for a song to come on the radio with the hopes that I might be quick enough to hit the "record" and "play" buttons at the same time and record most of it on the waiting cassette tape. #thestruggleWASreal.)

So you know what my hubs and I do to combat this? We make intentional choices to make our kids wait for things. From purchasing things they really, really want, to going special places. Even if they have their own money, we will still make them wait till we are ready for them to purchase. Our poor kids have waited months sometimes simply because we decided they needed to wait.

You know why?!

Because patience is a virtue. 
Patience is earned, not given.
Patience is necessary in life.
And the reward of patience is so much sweeter than that of instant gratification. 

Baseball is truly an example of that. It's not constant excitement during the entire game. But those moments of excitement are crucial to the outcome of the game and an ending like tonight's totally makes it worth all 5.5 hours. 
I know you Giants fans think so, anyway...😉

KC




No comments:

Post a Comment