Sunday, June 16, 2013

pa's hands

Father's Day around our house is about my husband and the Dad he is to my kids.  He's an incredible dad.  He stepped up to the plate when our daughter was born and has been playing his heart out ever since.  Sometimes I get a little jealous because I think maybe he's grown more as a dad than I have as a mom, although I know he doesn't think so.  I am often surprised and impressed at his "daddy" abilities.  He accomplishes things that I can't get done as a mom.  When I walk away frustrated, he steps in calmly and handles the matter without smoke coming out of his ears.


I will admit, however, that I do feel a bit gypped on Father's Day.  I can remember my Dad, his legacy, and how awesome our relationship was.  But I don't get to tell him anymore.  In a selfish way, that kind of sucks. 
 
I was thinking of this poem that I wrote a couple of years back about my Dad.  It's supposed to be song lyrics, but I haven't yet found the melody.  Or maybe I'm not ready to put it to music.  As I reread it, I didn't read/remember too deeply for fear the inevitable tears would come. 

PA'S HANDS

He went 64 to 85
In just 9 months
His hair turned white, he walked real slow
We kinda had a hunch...

He wasn't at that ripe old age
We hoped we'd see
But he was as much a husband and a dad
That he could be

But through it all
There was one thing that never changed
His big ol' hands, the most wonderful hands
They stayed the same

As a little girl I always liked to hold
My Daddy's hand
Even at 28 I was proud to hold
The hand of that man

When my Pa died, he was an old man
On the outside
But up in heaven receiving his crown
Now he was the child

Now he holds the hand
Of his loving heavenly Father
While I've been given the hands to hold
Of a son and daughter

Sometimes I dream that he's still here
Just as he was
Every now and again I see bits of him
In what my son does

Now he holds the hand
Of his loving heavenly Father
I hope my children can see glimpses of him
In his daughter
 
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment