Tuesday, December 24, 2013

best gift ever


When I was a kid, Christmas took forever to come around. And when it did finally happen, it took forever for the adults to finish eating dinner so we could open gifts. And when they finally finished eating, it took forever to hand out gifts (but at this point, forever was good because it made the night last a little longer). 

Nowadays, I look forward to Christmas for a much better reason.  Sure, I still get gifts from loved ones, and I love the thought and care put into each one.  But I value my family time now - it is a gift.  My brothers and their spouses as well as my husband sit and joke around while the kids open their gifts. One brother is always throwing a wad of gift wrap at another (I'm talking about my big brothers).  My husband and I exchange looks as our two kids can barely control their excitement.  My mom is always anxious to see if each of us enjoy her extremely thoughtful gifts.  We are now the adults who intentionally take forever to finish dinner as we watch the anticipation drive the kids crazy (just one more bacon- wrapped smokie...).  I love to hug on my nephews who are taller than me and be silly with all my nieces and nephews.  

Tonight I spent probably a half hour taking fun pictures with my nieces and nephews.  That was a priceless gift (and also created a few black-mail photos if needed in the future).  Grandma even got in the pictures!  Do you know how much laughter was generated from those pictures alone?! 

I like my family.  I have been blessed with a godly family who truly love and care for one another, even when we don't see eye to eye.  And on days like today, I will relish my time spent with each one.  (I even got to spend a little time via FaceTime with my niece-face who couldn't make it home for the holidays).  And tomorrow we will open more presents, but even better than that will be the time spent with family once again.

Merry Christmas, everyone!  May your day be merry as you celebrate with friends and family and may it be bright as you reflect on the true meaning of this glorious day.

And now I present my family:
Here we went with cute and then it got a little crazy...






We are so much fun!!  Or maybe just weird - either way, I love them because they are mine.

Merry Christmas,
KC















1 comment:

  1. Yes, this is a big part of my family and I love them all....even when they act a little crazy! We had so many laughs together which is good for the soul. It is special watching the little ones open gifts...we all know that this is really all about Jesus as we sang about Him earlier in the evening. But He wants us to be happy too even though we miss the "Pa and Grandpa' of this gang. He is not forgotten. Hope your times are as blessed as ours.

    ReplyDelete