Tuesday, December 3, 2013

little steps

We use cloth napkins for dinner at our house.  That might seem insignificant to you, but to me it symbolizes something greater than cute cloths to wipe our faces on.  It reminded me that I can make changes in my life but sometimes I have to take baby steps to get there.

I have this continually growing list in my mind of what I'd like to change about myself or the way I live or who I am.  Eat healthier.  Take better care of my teeth. Be better with finances. Keep the house cleaner. Teach the kids to be more responsible.  Save more money on groceries.  Get more sleep (ha!).  Write a book. Practice the piano more. Be more thoughtful. Be more diligent in prayer.  And on and on it goes...

A couple years back I thought it'd be great if our family tried to use cloth napkins in an effort to save a few cents and be a little greener.  But I didn't want to spend a ton of money buying cloth napkins.  It took a little time to acquire the napkins and to use them habitually, but we do now!  I know.  Not a big deal, but it was the symbolism of the whole thing.

At times my ongoing list seems unachievable.  It's overwhelming.  I want to be all those things already. Right now. But it takes time and some of them take baby steps.  

Our family might not eat the healthiest yet, but I am making better choices in the grocery store which means the kids are making healthier choices at home.

My teeth...let's just say after my last appointment we are going through a lot more dental floss around here!

After years of trying, I finally have an exercise schedule and regime that I love.

Finances.  I can just thank my husband for his amazing budgeting skills and ability to keep me accountable.  But it took us a few years to get that going!

Everything took small steps but the most important thing was taking that first step.  You aren't going to go anywhere if you don't start walking. (Right now at 12:30 that sounds so deep and profound, but it's really not. It just makes sense.)

Thanks for listening to my midnight ramblings!

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment