Thursday, December 5, 2013

never give up

I was planning on getting to bed before 11:00 tonight which would be phenomenal, considering the week I've had, but I was nudged to write a bit of encouragement.  And I try not to ignore the nudges.

I seem to stick on this "parenting" subject a lot.  Probably because it is consuming and what I spend most if my time doing.  But I've got a message for those of you raising the strong-willed kids:

Never give up.

I know I written this before, but it is a message that bares repeating.  Those strong-willed ones posess the will to change the world.  They are going to stand strong and do amazing things for God's kingdom.  They are going to amaze you with the choices they make and the directions they go: things you were never brave enough to do yourself.

(Now those of you who have even-keeled kids, I'm not saying that they won't be amazing.  They probably already are!  But for those of us with iron willed kids: we are going insane trying to raise them and we need a ton of encouragement and perspective to do it!!)

You know something else?  God not only desired that you should raise that soon to be amazing little person, which is a privilege all on its own, but He desired to refine you in the process.  That's right! He's making you amazing too!

But back to my point:

That kid is going to frustrate you.  She is going to embaress you.  She is going to be obnoxious and rude and downright mean to you.  But don't give up.  Keep trying to figure that kid out.  Keep trying to parent them. Get advice from people who have or are raising strong-willed kids.  Get advice from godly people.  Find tools to help you (books, podcasts, videos, sermons). Keep swimming.  Just keep swimming.  And PRAY!!

Because what 's going to happen if you give up?  You will be even more miserable.  Not only will you have to live with a brat, but you will have to swallow the fact that you gave up on them.  

It's a privilege; I promise!  You might now feel it now.  You might not understand it now.  But someday it will all be worth it. Just don't give up on that kid.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment