Thursday, December 12, 2013

reading good books

I used to be judgmental.  I still am but not as much as I used to be.  And that's only because I haven't reached perfection yet - my kids and husband remind me of this daily. But I'm trying.

I used to judge a book by its cover.  And by book, I mean person. And by cover, I mean by what they wore or what they drove or how their house looked or how they did or didn't do their hair. 

But I'm sure you've never done that.

Because if you did, you would have missed out on meeting some truly amazing people.  

You see I have a variety of friends who are not perfect.  They laugh loud or are sarcastic or sing all the time.  They can be goofy or immature.  They are young.  They are old.  Their hair is not always perfect and there are dents in their cars.  I've seen them without make up. I've seen them in their work out clothes and usually workout clothing tells no lies. 

But these friends stay up late with me.  They send me funny stuff to cheer me up.  They bring me iced tea just because.  They take me on their adventures.  They teach me things about life.  They inspire me.  They motivate and push me.  They encourage me.  They create awesome memories with me.

And now it's time to turn this around.  I am a book and I'm sure my cover has been judged by many.  A long time ago a dear, dear friend took a chance on friendship with this shy, homely little girl.  Now miles separate us but the connection between us is as if we were still hanging out in high school.  My husband took a chance on a skinny, knobby-kneed college Junior and now he is my best friend.  

You got any books that maybe you need to open so you can see past the cover?  You might be surprised at how interesting their story is.  

That is enough "book" puns for tonight.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment