Thursday, January 2, 2014

slow resolutions

Here we go, 2014!!  

I used to make resolutions. It was a great way to fail at something in the month of January.  (I think maybe I flossed my teeth for a an entire January, so I guess that counts as something!) We tend to think that we need to make big changes in our lives at the beginning of the year, but that's a lot of pressure to put on the whole year ahead. 

Here's what I started doing:

I look at my life regularly (not just once a year) to see what kinds of changes I want to make.  I set goals and come up with ideas of how to make it work.  And then I do it slowly.  I'm not great at making a huge change all at once.  (Except when we gave up soda.  That was all at once.  No more soda here.  Just healthier teeth.)  



Here's a couple (or a few) examples: 

We wanted to eat healthier so we stopped buying chips and cookies for the pantry and started buying more fresh fruits and veggies as well as more nuts and trail mix.  To change our entire diet overnight is SO overwhelming for me to tackle, but little steps have made huge changes for our family.

I had to give up coffee because I was killing my stomach with it.  Too much acid or something.  So I found a substitute with less caffeine but awesome flavor: strawberry iced tea.  I'll freely admit my addiction here, but I do feel better on a daily basis because of it.



I struggled to find a form of exercise that I liked so I was lucky to get 3 days of exercise a month!  But in 2012 I finally took the advice of numerous friends of mine: I signed up to run a half marathon.  Signing up made me accountable.  I had to train or I would be terrible on the day of the event.  My husband set up a training schedule for us and together we accomplished our first half marathon (He rocked it!! I finished it).  I will not say that I love running, but I am now "fond" of it.  (I did find a love of exercise in joining CrossFit, but I won't go into that because as you all know, those who CrossFit love to talk and talk and talk about it!!)


Laundry.  That used to be a bad word around here.  Mostly because sometimes I forget about the loads in the washer and sometimes also the loads in the dryer.  But also because it was never-ending.  So a few years back I decided to have A Laundry Day (being a stay-at-home mom helped accomplish this). I made one day (Monday) the day to get it all done.  Then I didn't worry about it for another week!  That felt awesome. Now because of my busy schedule my laundry day is usually 2 days long, but having 5 days off from laundry feels great to me. 

My "resolutions" list is still very long in my mind. Sometimes overwhelming.  But I pray for strength and self-discipline and determination on a daily basis, and I tell myself to tackle one thing at a time and eventually I will be able to look back at what I have done and be proud.

(And currently I'm on a roll flossing my teeth! And not just since this month started...) 


KC

No comments:

Post a Comment