Thursday, January 16, 2014

super ugly ceiling fans

Sometimes I'm so busy looking around at what I don't have that I forget to see just how blessed I truly am.  

(You know, I could finish the post right there and that message would have been enough!)

I'll admit, I have a "want" list:

New carpet in the house
A car for my husband that doesn't have a huge dent in it
A better wardrobe
Flat abs
A nicer front yard
Well-behaved and polite children who remember their manners every time they're supposed to
Ceiling fans that are not ugly
New couches
The ability to be a super-organized Mom

And this list could be a mile long, if I let it.  So I don't. I try to combat my "wants" by being grateful for what I have.  It doesn't always work (because seriously, this fan down here is terribly ugly!) but I try. 


The stains and worn spots on my carpet show that we live here, we enjoy life here.
The dent on the car is a constant lesson in humility and learning not to put so much in our possessions. And it still runs!
I always manage to come out of my closet with clothes that match and I get compliments on my outfits! Even though many of my clothes are second-hand or directly off the sale rack. 
Flat abs - ha! I'm healthy! I'm not ill! Flat abs seem so insignificant when compared to that. (But I'll be honest: I'm going to keep working toward flatter abs).
Who needs a nice front yard when your kids are content to run around and play with the wonderful kids in the cul-de-sac?
If manners are my biggest concern when it comes to my children then I am truly blessed.
Let me tell ya: in the summer if a ceiling fan works and keeps the house cool, it doesn't matter if it looks shiny and brassy!
But worn in couches are so comfy.
Organized...I haven't lost my kids yet, that should count for something!

Reading through this, I realize that I am drawing attention to the things that I don't have but perhaps that's a good lesson for me as well.  Sure, you'll notice the dent in our car every time you see us driving through town now.  But that's okay because it's my constant reminder to be grateful for all that God has given me because He always provides, even if it is in the form of an ugly brassy fan. 

(Seriously, folks, that thing is coming down soon.)

KC

2 comments:

  1. Love your thoughts Kathy! About that fan...metal primer and metal paint have done some pretty awesome alterations at my house! Shelly Schaub

    ReplyDelete
  2. Augh! I commented earlier but it did not post! Let me try this again...
    Shelly, I might just have to go invest in some new paint! But I think I'll start with the ugly one upstairs first. Thanks for your kind words (and it's nice to hear from you!)

    ReplyDelete