Monday, January 12, 2015

a choice

A few years back, a former student of mine posted a question on Facebook: what is love to you? There was a variety of answers including how the other person makes you feel and what the other person does for you, the typical "hearts all a-flutter" answers. And then I came in with my practical answer: love is a decision.

Somebody taught me that. (Surprise, surprise! Everything I know that sounds wise or amazing is from someone else...) I don't remember who but I remember that it was early in my marriage.

When my husband and I were engaged, we had that giddy, goo-goo ga-ga, puppy-love. That feeling you hope will stay there for ever! Happy happy joy joy. I remember asking my parents if that would change because I never ever wanted it to go away. And they said it would change, but into something deeper and better.

And they were right, but not without bumps along the way.

I haven't been married all that long, going on 15 years this year, but long enough to have some major downs to go along with our ups. And truth be told, the down parts in a relationship really suck. There have been a couple of times (okay, maybe a few times) when my husband and I have not liked each other. If you've never had that then I'm pretty sure you're lying. 

But even when we are at odds and don't like each other, we still love each other. You wanna know why? Because we choose to do so. Early on in our relationship, we choose to love each other, even when the feelings aren't always there. Even when one of us is steaming mad at the other person. Even when one of us does something stupid. We choose to love each other.

This kind of love isn't based on feelings. It doesn't fluctuate with our situations. It's a commitment. 

God loves us, even when we don't deserve it. Even when we do something stupid and even when He should probably smite us instead. 

1 John 4:11 (KJV)
Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

I'm glad that He set that example, because otherwise I'm not so sure my relationship with my husband would be what it is today. Afterall, I have let the pool overflow...I've left the garage open all night...I made tuna casserole once (ew - never again)...I borrowed his wire cutter and never returned it...ever...and this could end up being a very long list....

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment