Sunday, April 5, 2015

stupid bad mood

So maybe I'm the only one guilty of this... Ok, no. I know I'm not the only one guilty of this: you're having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day* (because grown ups have those too). The toilet got clogged, some kid spilled cereal all over the kitchen floor (oh, the horrors of walking barefoot!), the low fuel light came on in the car, the cat vomited on the carpet, you forgot to switch the laundry last night and it all stinks, you're missing two ingredients for dinner and didn't realize it till you actually started making dinner, someone put a completely empty carton of milk back in the fridge, and you cannot find your phone!!! 

You've been there, I know you have. Well, if not there, some situation very similar to that. And how do you feel at that point? Peachy keen? Sweet as apple pie? (Not sure why all the fruitiness...)

I'm guessing that anyone who comes up at this point in your day and asks, "What's for dinner?" is probably going to get their head chewed off! And that's a pretty educated guess because I've been there and I've done that. 😬

And here it is, the part I don't like because it means I have yet another weakness that I need to work on (ugh, that list is getting long!) 

Just because I had a bad day doesn't mean I get to take it out on anyone else. 
Just because I'm irritated with life doesn't mean I get to yell at my kids for a simple mistake.
Just because I'm an emotional wreck because my feelings got hurt by a friend doesn't mean I get to treat my husband like dirt the minute I see him.

Now please do notice that I didn't say that we can't be in a bad mood. Some days it happens because of circumstances. Some days it happens because of emotions. Bad moods happen. 

But for me, that is where I have to start exercising my self-control so that I don't end up making everyone else's day as terrible as mine. 

In my life, this happens at home. My family gets the brunt of it. But I know that it happens at work or with friends or even when you're driving on the freeway! They don't deserve it (usually). 

Let me share the wisdom of Pinterest here: 
And here:

And to help you smile:
And again (because smiling's great):
And for the cuteness factor: 

I hope your day is just wonderful!

KC


*This is a partial quote from the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst, which has been one of my favorite books since one of my classmates (memorized a large portion of it and recited it for a local festival. I still hear it in her voice when I read it to my kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment