Sunday, December 18, 2016

Christmas, for reals

Okay, I'm gonna get real with you all. This isn't a new thing for me; I'm usually very real when I write, mostly because I want all of you who struggle with your imperfections to know that you're not alone in that struggle.

But today's "real" is a lot harder for me to write. Maybe because I'm afraid you all with think I'm a party-pooper or that you'll misunderstand my emotions. But none of that has stopped me before, so here goes:

Christmastime is hard for me. It feels like work and that feeling sometimes robs my enjoyment of it all. I've been watching Christmas With the Kranks and I think they might be on to something there....

Now before I get too far, let me just say that there are a ton of things that give me joy during this time (which makes all the effort and "work" worth it.) I get to see nieces and nephews who come home from college. I get to create and participate in traditions that my kids will remember for the rest of their lives. I get the opportunity to bless others and am constantly blessed by other people's thoughtfulness. I get to spend time with my siblings and their families...gosh, I love my family! Christmas music, kids' anticipation, food, food, food! And the numerous quiet moments of reflecting on an amazing Christmas gift - Jesus.  All. Good. Things!

Now some of you have been blessed with the gift of super organization and others with the gift of maximum cleanliness through the holidays. I'm sure there are bunches of you that maintain a Christmas budget like a champ! And then there's me: Super Optimistic Girl who constantly fights the battle of Reality! 

Reality for me is that I'm a busy mom, trying to maintain my sanity on a regular basis as it is. Throw in the responsibility of redecorating the house for the season (I'd love to say my kids are great helpers, but when they get done it kinda just looks like Christmas threw up downstairs), purchasing just the right gifts that are thoughtful, on a budget, getting the Christmas cards created and mailed out BEFORE Christmas (just picked them up today so we'll see how many addresses are actually still in my phone), decorating the gingerbread houses (people, I had to use a blow dryer to make the frosting dry quicker so the blasted house didn't slide apart!), wrapping all the gifts, baking and cooking all the delicious food, and the list goes on and on....

Now, I look at that list and think it's probably all manageable, but add to it all the emotions that come with this holiday: trying to teach my children to focus on the giving side more than the receiving side (hahahaha, impossible!) and reminding them of the true reason why we celebrate Christmas, missing my Dad and now my Father-in-law (that hole never fills up), and searching for my own joy among the busyness.

So yeah, Christmas is hard.

I wouldn't want Christmas to disappear. Good things are worth the time, effort, and the exhaustion. 

But I'll tell you what I like better than Christmas: the Christmas afterglow.

So for those of you who love this time of year: keep loving it and spreading that happiness around. Smile a lot! Sing loud for all to hear! Do all the Christmas things! We need your spirit!

And for those of you who feel overwhelmed by it all: you're not alone.

But here is your hope: the afterglow. That time when you get to sit back on the couch in your slippers and enjoy your coffee while the kids (husband) play with their new toys in front of the lights twinkling on the tree while Michael Bubke croons his Christmas tunes in the background.

But seriously, people, I think I'm gonna start purchasing Christmas gifts in January! Get that Christmas shopping done before Valentine's Day!

Here's hoping you find those precious Christmas moments to enjoy among the craziness,
KC


No comments:

Post a Comment