Thursday, December 15, 2016

JOY

"Joy to the world!"
Not "Happiness to the world!"

Because first of all, that just sounds dumb in the song. It doesn't flow!
And second of all, Jesus did not arrive here on earth to bring happiness.
(Although I'm sure there were times when happiness was a side affect of him being here. If I was cured of a gross disease or had my daughter raised from the dead, I'm sure happiness would be in there somewhere!)

Digging deeper...
Christ came to bring joy. 
That "down in your soul" joy. 
The "never goes away" joy.
The "surpasses all of life's garbage" joy.

Happiness comes from stuff and things and feelings and circumstances. And all those things have the potential to change.

Joy comes from the knowledge of a Savior who took my garbage away so that I have the most incredible gift: eternal life (which, I'm just sayin' sounds like it has the potential to be pretty stinking amazing. Imagine hanging with the God who can do anything. His imagination and creativity are limitless. LIMITLESS. Like a genie but a gazillion times better. I don't know about you, but I can't think of a more incredible gift.)

That knowledge creates joy.
Joy isn't just a feeling.
It's an understanding.
It's security. I am taken care of NO MATTER WHAT.
It is bigger than all the things that happiness bring.

JOY is the underlying calm in my soul.

So yeah: JOY to the world -  the LORD has come!
There has never been better news than that.
Amen?!
Amen.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment