Saturday, December 24, 2016

today is Christmas!

My kids are asleep next to the fake, overly decorated Christmas tree in our loft. With all of the excitement that they were exuding before they fell asleep, I was sure that it'd be hours before they would be out. TOMORROW IS THE MOST EXCITING DAY OF THE YEAR, AFTERALL!!

As I watch my kids get antsy to open gifts on Christmas Eve at Grandma's house and the expressions on their face as they open each specially thought-out gift, I can feel their excitement radiate through them and bring back memories of my own excitement as a kid.

Over the years, the excitement has gotten lost among the responsibilities and work and exhaustion that comes with being an adult. (I don't blame my kids for saying they never want to grow up - Peter Pan might have had the right idea!) It's tough to look past all the effort that is put into Christmas Day and to see all the work that'll come after the big day is over. 

So I decided that I'm going to join my kids by the tree to sleep tonight (but the Christmas music they fell asleep to has to go - I cannot fall asleep to Sleigh Ride!) and I'm going to wake up with them in the morning and fuel my excitement from their own. I miss feeling like a kid with no worries or cares about next week, tomorrow, or even what's going on later on that day!

I know my husband got me a few awesome gifts this year - he's good at that. And my kids even wrapped a couple things for me! But I'm thinking the best gift is going to be spending the day how Jesus would want me to spend his birthday - relaxing and enjoying the day for what it is. Not stressing about the laundry that needs to be completed or the clean up that needs to happen next week or the homeschooling and piano lessons that start shortly after that (starting to hyperventilate already, people!) 

Tomorrow is Sunday, the day God gifted us for guilt-free resting. That's the best gift ever. 

I hope you each wake up with a stirring in your soul, an unexplainable excitement, just like my kids. Because it's Christmas, people. IT'S CHRISTMAS!!

Go have a merry and bright day, my friends!! ❤️💚

KC 

No comments:

Post a Comment