Tuesday, February 4, 2014

a change of scenery

I had a tough few days over the weekend.  Very stressful and nerve-wracking.  Although nothing life-threatening was happening, I could feel the depression moving in.  My husband could see it too.  He would look at me with a half smile, already knowing I probably wouldn't return it; I was exhausted and down in the dumps.  He encouraged me and loved on me and I appreciated it but still struggled.

Now I don't struggle with the emotional disability of depression.  This is not a lifetime issue for me. (I have other lifetime issues, but depression is not my burden to bear).  This was "situation-induced" depression (I'm gonna go ahead and leave those quotation marks there because I'm 85% sure that I used them appropriately.  If I had been saying the phrase out loud, I would have used the finger quotes so I'm going to use that as confirmation).

I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who has dealt "situation-induced" depression.  Boy, does that stink!  It's like getting your truck stuck in the mud and no matter how much your wheels turn, you just get deeper!  Quicksand.

So, you know what I did?  Well, not what I did, but what God provided for me?  An opportunity to get out of the situation for a while.  My Mom picked me up and we went out and about for a while.  We didn't focus on depressing situations but chatted like good friends do.

What a blessing! 
(Thanks, Mom).

Getting away gave me perspective.  A fresh look from the outside instead of standing smack dab in the middle of it.  

So this evening I did it again - I headed out to CrossFit.  I did not have the desire or energy to be there, but it changed my focus.  It gave me strength and determination to face life head-on again.

So, I'm back to smiling again, despite my situation.  Praise The Lord for the opportunity to get away, even just for a few hours to recharge.  

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment