Tuesday, November 11, 2014

a comedy that moved me to tears

The other day I watched a movie in the middle of the afternoon. I never do that! I mean, afternoon is prime time for getting stuff done! But it was Sunday so I don't feel guilty. The crazy thing is that football was on TV, but my husband didn't say a word when he came into the family room and I was watching this comedy. He's amazing.

By the end of this totally relatable and utterly hilarious movie, I was bawling my eyes out. And not because of laughter. But the story hit home so strong that I couldn't help myself. 


Let me get a raise of hands for all the moms who have seen Moms Night Out.... (Beverly Henry - thanks for prompting me to see this one!)  As far as I'm concerned, every mom needs to watch this movie at least once a month. The messages that are in this movie are absolutely true. And we need to be reminded of them on a regular basis.

The two biggest points that hit me the hardest were these:

1. Being a mom is HARD work.
2. We, as moms, set our own standards for ourselves SO high that we can never achieve them and will always fail. 

As the movie was coming to an end, as the tears started falling, I realized my tears were tears of relief. Because if a movie this mainstream had those points to share, then it must be true. I'm not alone. I'm not the only one who thinks this mommy thing is the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life. It challenges every part of me: my emotions, my mental state of mind, my physical being (carrying a flailing 8 year old up a flight of stairs to put her in her room takes every ounce of strength I have!) Everything about me is affected. 

And the truth in realizing that I am placing unrealistic standards for motherhood on myself. Nobody expects me to do what I expect myself to do. I'm really hard on myself. I need to lay off myself! 

If you have the chance to see Moms Night Out, do it. It's at RedBox right now. I'm gonna buy it and invite mommies over to watch it with me. Because we all need to be reminded that our job is pretty important and that if is worth all the blood, sweat, tears, and prayers that we are putting into it.

Who's up for a movie night next week?!

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment