Tuesday, November 11, 2014

so much the same, but not really

For most of my life, I've tried not to make generalizations, especially about men. If you look just for a few minutes, you will find a bunch of memes/quotes/ecards that place guys into some kind of jerk-shaped box. I know the same exists for women as well. We are all high maintenance, overly emotional creatures who become horrible people when we pms. Am I right? Yes I am - I'm a woman; we're always right (opposite generalization - is that a thing?)
 
I found a couple of funnies about this subject: 



You see? What a bunch of sillyness. Each of us was created so differently. There might be a bunch of jerks in this world, but I know a whole lot of guys who aren't, especially my husband. (Does that mean he's never been a jerk? I can't say that. It just means that's not how I categorize him.) And many girls do a pretty good job of keeping their emotions in check, but yeah, they can get a little over the top once in a while. However, some of those emotions are pretty legit and actually offer a lot of good. 

(This one really cracks me up):


I do have to admit, there are distinct differences between guys and gals. Men tend toward the side of logic. Women toward the emotional side. Men can often compartmentalize things in their heads whereas girls tend to connect everything with...well, everything. Men often use less words and are direct. Women usually use more words and dance a little bit around what they are trying to say. 

(But even in all that, I recognize that not every man fits the "guy mold" that I just laid out there and ditto for the gals.)

My husband and I are built different. God had that figured out for the two of us long ago. And there are times when we butt heads because of our differences. That is inevitable. 

However, there are times when our differences perfectly balance each other out. And we are aware of this and use it to our advantage in our relationship. If I feel overly emotional about some drama, my guy is a great sounding board. He helps bring it all into focus. And sometimes when the numbers just don't add up logically, my husband needs a little bit of an emotional input to help make a decision. When I am feeling weak and insecure, he speaks strong truths into my life. And when his words seem like they could be harsh, he bounces them off of me first so that I might soften them before he speaks them.

Those differences that can drive us crazy are the same ones that can strengthen our marriage. You just have to make the choice together as to whether you both use the power for good or for evil...

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment