Tuesday, November 11, 2014

not what I expected

In the movie Moms Night Out (just gonna warn you - I'm probably going to quote this movie frequently. It is just too relatable), there is a line that the mom says that is pretty much an exact quote of what I have told my husband numerous times. 

I have felt guilty admitting this. Heartbroken also. But it is the truth. 

Here is my version of the quote:

Ever since I was little, all I wanted to do was grow up and be a mommy, but it's not at all what I thought it would be.

*sigh* 

Playing pretend as a little girl, I loved being a mommy to my dolls. I had a little kitchen set and I would cook for them and feed and burp them. I would change their clothes and put them down for a nap. My heart was full when I pretended to be a mommy. I just knew that's what I wanted to do. My Mom was a fantastic mom. I wanted to be the same. Going to a 4 year college was just something I did as a just-in-case, precautionary sort of thing. 

And then mommyhood actually happened. We took our munchkin home from the hospital and started figuring out what we needed to do for the 3 of us to survive. We thought it'd get easier as Jayne got older. Not really. There's always just another stage to work through. Then we added Lincoln. Two little ones to grow. 

Potty-training
Pre-school
Temper tantrums
Playing nice
Choosing friends
Making good choices
Eating good foods
Lying
Sneaking
Bad attitude
Bad language
Complaining, whining, moaning, groaning 
Being lazy
Disobeying
Rebelling
Too much TV
Too many electronics
Go outside to play!!
Quit talking back to me!!
Because I said so!!
AUGH!!!

Oh my goodness - so many hard things! So many battles. So much frustration. So much exhaustion. So many things we didn't anticipate. 

Being a mommy was not just cuddles and coos and snuggles and "I love you's."  It was, and is, really hard work.

But the results are so much more than I anticipated:

The amazing connection in the first few days of our children's lives
Watching milestones in the first year of their lives
Eating
Sitting up
Crawling
Walking
Talking
Watching their personalities blossom
Seeing kindness
Thoughtfulness
Generosity
Patience (oh wait, that doesn't really develop as much until you become a parent!)
Watching them become responsible
Make friends
Listening to their plans for their future
Dreaming with them
Hugs
Kisses
Snuggles and cuddles
"I love you"
Hearing them accept Jesus as their Savior


Ever since I was little, all I wanted to do was grow up and be a mommy, but it's not at all what I thought it would be.

It's more.
So much more.

KC



No comments:

Post a Comment