Sunday, November 23, 2014

you never know when

I tend to try and keep things light here on my blog, but tonight my heart is heavy.

A friend from many years past is in the midst of a experience I couldn't even fathom going through. I know very little about the situation except that her teenage son was in a car accident and is currently on life support. 

Another dear friend of mine has a son who is medically fragile, and as he approaches his 15th birthday, they face a transplant rejection as well as a fight against cancer. Every day he fights for his life.

This week a prominent figure in our town passed away suddenly. A friend of mine wrote this on Facebook regarding his passing: Life is short. Hug the ones you love and be ready to meet our Maker. 

Today I was watching my son walk from the truck to the house and suddenly my heart was overwhelmed. First with immense and fierce love followed quickly by the thought that had been forming in the back of my mind for the past couple of days: what if I lost him? What if I lost either of my children?

Unfathomable.

(Even as I write this, I have to keep leaving this page to allow myself to get distracted elsewhere. I keep losing my focus, but dealing with this subject is just too much).

Honestly, I'm not sure what my point is in writing this. Maybe someone needs to be reminded that life's too short to let petty things stand in the way of a relationship. Or maybe to remind someone to go visit their mom. Or maybe to grab those children and hug and squeeze them more often. Perhaps it's time you thought about what's going to happen when you die, or if one of your children passes on - do you know where you're going? Or where any of your loved ones are going? Don't live with regrets. Value your time with those special to you. Make memories together. Listen to the urgings that God is putting on your heart.

Heavy, I know.
I'm sorry...
But sometimes we need the heavy to remind us of the important.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment