Tuesday, January 10, 2017

the legacy of a mom

Just before Christmas I had the privilege of attending the funeral of a gal who was my mom's age when she passed on into heaven. She was a wife, mom, MIL, grandma, and a great-grandma! The church was packed because so many people in our little community knew her and her husband and her kids because of their involvement in the schools, churches, and, well, the community. 

At one point in the service, her kids and grandkids had the chance to share their memories of their mom and grandma. I sat and listened and felt like I was given the chance to peek into their family room and share in their memories and even felt welcomed to do so! It truly was a blessing.

But the biggest blessing for me was the lessons I learned about being a mother from their words. As I sat and listened to those precious memories, the wonderful things that they said about their mom, nothing but honesty about the goodness of who she was, I reflected on my own self and who I was as a mom.

I know I'm not perfect, just as I'm sure their mom wasn't. But as those kids told stories of her love, of how she cared for each child, grandchild, and great grandchild, how her door was always open, how she would dole out her practical wisdom, taught her family her traditions, and always had a smile on her face, it made me want to strive to be the mom that my kids will look back on and know that I did my best, that I tried to use the gifts God gave me, and that I desired to raise them as godly children, just as she did. Her kids are a testimony to her heart as a mother. If you've met any one of them, you know this is true. 

At one point in the service, one of the daughters mentioned that her mom would not want such a big fuss about her, but I thought to myself: I don't think she wouldn mind the fuss if she knew that she was affecting lives like mine and other women in the audience even after she was in heaven. What an inspiration! What a legacy! 

She gives me hope and determination to leave my own legacy for my kids.

So moms: keep momming on!! We are inspiring those around us, just by being moms! ❤️

KC


* I knew these "kids" when we were growing up which is why I call them "kids" throughout today's post. That day when they shared their hearts about their mom, they were kids again. When it comes to moms, we'll never stop being kids. 
**I also didn't share names, even though most of my readers know this family, but that's simply because I didn't ask permission to do so. Feel free to share, if you feel it is shareable! 
***Love you guys!

2 comments:

  1. Kathy: I was warned by my oldest daughter that I would cry----and I still didn't grab a tissue box before reading this---a BIG mistake! What you wrote is overwhelmingly sweet, touching, meaningful, and sensitive to what the family wanted to portray in my sweetheart's celebration of life. May our Lord bless you as you continue to "survive....by the Grace of God!" mrt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr.T - it has been on my heart to write this post since the day I sat and listened to your children speak so lovingly about their mom. She was a beautiful gal and that beauty is seen in every one of your kids because of their hearts and in their smiles as well. Love you all! Kathy

      Delete