Monday, April 9, 2012

jogging next to kids


If you ever see me out for a jog (which rarely happens) and you see me with a silly lopsided grin on my face, chances are a great song just came on in my playlist (which I keep on shuffle - keeps me surprised for each song). And if my hands seem to have a random rhythm all their own, I'm not uncoordinated. I'm playing air drums.

Today's Gift of Survival: I like the idea of jogging for lots of reasons. It gets me out of the house and gives me some alone time. I get to pick the music I listen to while I jog. The feeling of accomplishment when I'm finished. Trying to jog just a little farther each time. The runner's high that follows. A more fit body for the rapidly approaching summer. Knowing that I burned off all the calories from the overly sweetened coffee I drank earlier in the day. And, of course, the health benefits for my body, God's creation (that's supposed to be the kicker for me).

But, I'm not a consistent jogger. I'd like to be. I'd love to be able to say, "Yeah, I jog too." But the infrequency of my jogging disqualifies me from being a legitimate jogger. I've got quite a list of excuses to keep me from hitting the road in my jogging shoes. It's too hot. It's too cold. There are too many bugs out there. It's too dark out. It's too bright out. I'm too tired. I just ate. I don't have good jogging shoes. I've got too much to do around this house. See? Quite a list. Here's my problem: I'm not accountable to anyone but myself. If I don't feel like jogging, the only person I have to convince is myself. And I'm a pushover.

This afternoon I had convinced myself it was time to try it again. (I've convinced myself that someday I will be a habitual exerciser... but even if I don't get there, I figure going once in a while is better than not at all.) I mentioned at dinner that I was going to go for a run after my dinner had settled. Immediately my 6.5 year old daughter exclaimed, "I wanna go! I wanna go!" To which I immediately responded: "Nope. This is my time. I'm going to jog by myself." Which immediately brought forth a pout from my girl.

After dinner I did dishes and folded some laundry and finally came to the realization: why can't I take her for a jog? We are trying to promote healthy lifestyles in our children and here I am telling her to stay at home and play on the computer while I go jogging! So I told her to put on some running clothes and shoes and together we jogged around the block then I dropped her off at home with my hubby and continued on my way for the rest of my jog. She loved it!

While I finished my jog, I realized that in order to train our children in healthy habits, we need to take them up beside us and show them how it is done. We lead them best by our examples. You want your kids to have a devotional time? Let them see you doing yours. You want them to know how to pray? Give them the example of your prayers. And then give them opportunities to do the same. Sometimes after dinner we let my 3.5 year old pray. His prayers are typically in this manner: "Thank you for our dinner. Thank you for plates. Thank you for milk. Thank you for spoons. Thank you for the carrots and thank you for the salt and the pepper." Not terribly in depth, but complete! And it is good practice.

I'd like to think I take every opportunity to be a great example to my kids and show them how to make good decisions. But I don't. But writing posts like this are a lesson to myself as well; something for me to take to heart also. Imagine that! It's probably because these lessons are not really from me, they are revelations from God. Good thing, because He's a great deal wiser than I am!

KC

- If you see me limping around tomorrow, please don't laugh. As a matter of fact, I'd appreciate the applause! I ran farther today than I ever have in the past. And I'm sure it will be worth the pain...pretty sure, anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the jogging...when you get my age your pace slows down. But I have been consistantly WALKING for 30 years. That must count for something!

    ReplyDelete