Sunday, April 15, 2012

the saturation of scripture

There are times in life when you need the saturation of scripture. Today there are so many traumas of the past week or so that have built up that there tears continually threaten to spill over. I feel the need to turn to the comfort scriptures that God has granted us for glimpses of peace, rest, hope.

A little more than a week ago, a friend's son was injured and hospitalized. So scary to see this happen to a child so young. But it has been wonderful to see his healing as well as the support of friends helping this family.

A dear friend of mine and her wonderful husband have a medically fragile son who recently underwent a multi-organ transplant. The complications currently occurring are bringing a heaviness to my heart. I cannot even fathom the emotions of his parents as they live in "survival" mode - just getting by living minute to minute.

And this afternoon I received news that the man whom I have been blessed to call pastor has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. With the news being so recent, I am still in a state of speechlessness.

Three others come to mind who are battling various stages of cancer. One is the extremely talented photographer father of a friend of mine. Another is a dear woman who lives in my old neighborhood - sweetest woman ever, never downhearted. And a third is the father of a classmate of mine - I remember as a child he always had the greatest biggest smile ever.

There are many in my life who have walked tough roads. My heart breaks to think of parents who have passed, infants who have lived mere minutes or never saw the light of this earth, sons and daughters lost too young, brothers, sisters, friends gone in a heartbeat and others who we've watched as they've approached death. Sufferings, aches, tears, sadness.

Today's gift of survival:


My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.
Psalm 63:8

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
Psalm 62:1-2

For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
Isaiah 41:13

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11-13

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.
Numbers 6:24-26

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:28-29


There have been times in this life I have come to a complete state of helplessness. There is nothing I can do to make a situation better but open the Bible and search for the words of comfort that only God can provide:
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip - He who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord will keep you from all harm - He will watch over your life;
The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
Psalm 121:1-4, 7, 8

No matter where I am in this life, I am never out of the grip of God.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the scriptures! And of course, I love reading your writings... XO

    ReplyDelete