Tuesday, April 24, 2012

just do it!

Yesterday was one of those days where I would have been content to just lounge around all day and do a whole lotta nothing.  I woke up without any gumption or motivation.  You know what I did?  I got up and got going!

Today's Gift of Survival: the "just do it" attitude.  I looked at all I needed to get done (on this day that I didn't feel like doing anything at all) and could very well have gotten overwhelmed.  Sometimes when that happens, it is easier to ignore it all and just do what I want to do.  But I have learned to just get started on one project and that gives me motivation to keep on keepin' on.  So I started by emptying the clean dishes from the dishwasher and then moved on to laundry.  I cleaned up breakfast dishes and got started on my grocery list.  And on the day went.  I managed to get a lot accomplished simply because I decided to "just do it!"

This weekend I had the opportunity to help do some rearranging of home decor at my dear sister-in-law's house.  It started out with a shelf that we wanted to straighten out and by the time I went home, we had made our way through 2 rooms!  I loved it.  But taking on a project like that would have seemed HUGE if we had not tackled just one little area at a time.  We set small goals for ourselves and stayed in one area until we were satisfied.  Things got set aside for a garage sale, or to be thrown away, or to be put in a better place.  We were so excited with what we had accomplished and couldn't wait for her husband to notice!  And he DID!!  Major brownie points for him!

Ah!  And another motivator for me: small rewards for jobs done.  It could be a piece of chocolate after folding a load of laundry. Or something bigger like heading out to get a special coffee after completing a huge project (like organizing my scrapbook supplies... which hasn't happened since we moved... 6 months ago).  If I set a reward in my sights, I am more likely to keep working so that I can reach that goal sooner.

One last motivator for me is to strive to be the Proverbs 31 woman.  Starting at verse 10, there is a description of a most amazing wife.  I know that I will never be that woman (the "rising while it is yet night" is probably not going to happen), but it sets a guideline for me.  Something for me to follow and refer to while I try to be a good wife and mom and whatever else God has in store for me.

But I'm thinking the Proverbs 31 woman never sleeps because her lamp does not go out by night and she rises while it is yet night.  Does she nap?  Because I could be okay with that!

KC

1 comment:

  1. Proverbs 31 was used at your Fathers and my wedding. I am still, after all these years, trying to measure up to that guide. Maybe, when I reach heaven,...in the meantime, I just keep my eyes on Him who can mold me like He wants me to become.

    ReplyDelete