Wednesday, October 16, 2013

teachers rule (well, most of them do!)

Ok, I started this about 3 times but couldn't come up with a catchy first sentence.  Oh well, I guess I'll just jump straight in!

Before I had kids, I was a teacher. I taught at the elementary level and Jr. High (and surprisingly loved my jr highers).  I really enjoyed teaching. It was fun!  Sometimes I took home work to do in the evenings  and weekends.  Okay, I always took home work!  Usually it was some form of paper work, but there was a lot of emotional work that came home too.  How can I help this student understand math?  Why does that student lose so many papers?  Why is she failing math - what am I doing wrong as a teacher?  It was difficult not to take my students' failures and shortcomings as a personal reflection on me as a teacher.

Because of my background, I have always been a big supporter of my childrens' teachers.  These teachers truly care about my kids and want to see them succeed in all areas of their lives.  I know that might not be the case for every teacher out there (I've heard stories!) but I know most of the teachers at our school and they are just wonderful! 

Currently, I volunteer in my kids' classrooms almost every morning.  I get the unique perspective of being the parent who gets to observe the classroom and teacher at work.  If you ever have the opportunity to do so, I encourage it.  It will be an eye-opener!  

In my daughter's 3rd grade class there are 26 kids and I think more than half are boys. Noisy, bouncy, talkative, chatty, can't-sit-still boys. (I'm not saying this of all boys, but this particular class has a low hum nearly all the time!). Their teacher is phenomenal.  I have seen some impressive changes in these kids since they have been in her class.  They are more organized, make fewer mistakes, understand concepts very well, they are more careful in their work, they know the rules and the routines. The low hum is often there , but when it gets too much, she lets them know!  Her classroom is bright and cheery and her teaching is very well-rounded in all the subjects.  

I know all this because I am there. I see it. I talk to her.  This is a huge blessing to me!  I understand how things go in her classroom.  I see if my daughter's desk is a mess or if she is the one who talks too much or if she is raising her hand to answer questions.  

So I'm finally getting to my point here (or close to it, anyway).  It is easy to make assumptions about a teacher because of what other parents are saying about them.  It is easy to judge a teacher by what the kids are saying about her.  But I have to admit, I think it's a bit silly to completely trust a 3rd grader's side of the story.  It's not because I think all kids lie, but sometimes they miss important facts or completely miss the other side of the story.  And where do those other parents get their opinion?  I'd say there's a good chance that they are influenced by their children too.

Now, not everyday is a good day for a teacher. And no teacher is perfect.  So here's what I'm proposing we do for our teachers.  I think we take the time to communicate with them and get to know them.  And I think we show them some grace.  

I know how hard our teachers work.  I know how valuable they are to our children and their futures.  But how often do I express my appreciation?  Not enough, that's for sure.

If your child has a great teacher, let them know it! It might just make their day.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment