Tuesday, December 23, 2014

deviating from the to-do list

As I sit in front of the Christmas tree reflecting back on today, it would be very easy for me to see all the things that I really waned to accomplish and to get frustrated at how little I actually got to cross off of my to-do list. Afterall, that to-do list practically governs my life. I have a schedule/routine of what needs to get done and the holidays have added a load to that list!

But honestly, despite what didn't get done, l loved today. Today was a good day.  The kitchen ended up twice as messy as what I originally planned. However, that mess what created by little hands who were busy at work making memories. We pulled out the gingerbread kits and made houses and villages today. Really sticky frosting was everywhere. Sprinkles and candy covered the houses and the table and the floor. 

My niece also joined in on the fun. (Or maybe she just came over to help me contain the chaos). She's home from college for such a short time so I try to hog her when I can. She made some yummy treats also, making the house smell of peanut butter and chocolate - a most delicious combination of calories! 😜 And you know that time spent together in the kitchen can be the most valuable time. 

So the house isn't spotless. The laundry will still be going tomorrow. The schoolroom is an absolute wreck. When I wasn't looking, somehow the kids' rooms got destroyed. I probably should have gone to the bank. And the grocery store. 

But I didn't. I'm glad I didn't.

When my kids get older, I'm certain they won't remember me as the cleanest, most organized and neatest mom. But I'm hoping they will remember me as the mom who took time away from everyday duties to sit with them and enjoy my time with them as we create lifetime memories together.  

From my youngest little guy, who is 6, to my oldest niece, who is 20, my moments with each is invaluable, both to me and to them. Time spent together developes strong relationships. I see how the time I have spent with my niece over the past 20 years has developed into a most amazing relationship and I know that it was time well spent. My goal is to have that with my own children as well.

So tomorrow I will continue on with my to-do list, but I have a feeling that there might be a few interruptions; important interruptions. And I will embrace them.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment