Monday, December 1, 2014

school's purpose

Today my kids were a royal pain in my neck. I'll be honest, there was nothing fun about homeschooling my two twerps this morning. And I told them that. Their attitudes had robbed the day of any enjoyment it could have had. I love homeschooling my kids. I love being their teacher. But only they can determine their attitudes toward it. 

I chatted with my husband about it this afternoon and he had a talk with them, like a good principal. He gave them a discipline and then set forth his expectations for tomorrow and what their consequences would be if they gave me more grief tomorrow. How awesome to have that support system in my husband.

He had them apologize to me. Which they did. 

And then it was my turn. 

I stood between the two of them and reminded them of my perspective as their teacher and their mother. I know I have goals to achieve and standards to meet. There are certain things I am required to do and work that I have to show. But these things do not strictly dictate the education of my children. They are simply guides for me. 

I told my children that the reason I teach them is so that I can fill their minds, grow their brains, and make sure they have all the education I can give them so that when God calls them to do something amazing in this world, they will be ready! 

There are so many other reasons as to why I am homeschooling my children, but I want them to see the value in learning. I want them to understand that the utmost reason for being an educated person is not so they can make the most money or be the smartest. It is so that they can be prepared for God's call on their life, whatever that might be. 

I, myself, am an example of this. I have a degree in education. With some guidance from my Mom, I followed my strengths and became a teacher. I have taught in many places at different levels. But I honestly feel that right now I am achieving the highest value for that education by homeschooling my kiddos. That is my calling and God knew that when He directed me down this path. 

I understand why my kids sometimes complain about school. It can be boring. It can be frustrating. But maybe if I just keep reminding them of the real purpose in going to school, perhaps they'll start to believe it themselves. You should have seen their faces when I told them that I was preparing them to do something amazing for God...

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment