Sunday, December 28, 2014

the light that comes from perspective

I don't know about you, but there have been times in my life when it seemed as though there might not be a light at the end of the tunnel. It is dark where you are and every day seems like a struggle. All hope has faded. And you don't feel like fighting in the struggle anymore. You are ready to give up on the relationship, or the dream, or you just want to run away from the hurt or the pain. 

But I have learned a lot in the midst of struggle. Perhaps the greatest thing has been perspective. When I have been completely down or struggling to see the bright side in anything, that is when I lean the heaviest on God. I pretty much look at Him and tell Him, "I can't do this anymore. You take over." And that is when He gives me perspective. 

Perspective doesn't mean that everything is fixed, all my problems are solved and that I can get on with a happy-go-lucky life.

Perspective means that He has given me a new way to look at my situation. Sometimes I can see life in a more positive light. Sometimes I just see it with a different or deeper understanding. Sometimes it is a feeling of resigning myself to the situation and not fighting it anymore because I know He's got it under control.

Whatever it is that God teaches me at my lowest of lows, I tuck it in my heart and in my mind and it becomes a nugget of wisdom for my future. 

Perspective: when my kids are driving me to the cliffs of insanity, I remember that they are imperfect beings and just like God shows me patience and grace (because I often act like a child), I need to show the same to them.

Perspective: when my goals and dreams aren't going according to my plans, I remind myself that His plans are bigger, better, and probably a little more organized than my ways! So I have to step out of the way and let Him do His thing. (This is also probably one of His tricky ways to teach me patience!)

Perspective: when I feel overwhelmed and stressed, He is my constant reminder: breathe, slow down, focus on the important things, enjoy the moments, and reminding me that it's okay to say, "no."

Perspective: when my husband and I are not being the best of friends (which rarely happens because we have the most perfect relationship 😉 - yes, looking for brownie points here!) and I don't have the desire to be his friend, I am reminded that we made a commitment before God (and with God's help) to stay together and work through everything. And although sometimes it takes a little while before I'm ready to be his friend again (often just as much my fault as his), we always come back together and solve our issues. Hence: the most perfect relationship...mostly! 😊

Perspective: God won't leave me in a pit forever.
Perspective: God is always with me.
Perspective: God loves me unconditionally.

That perspective that He gives when we are at our darkest is a gift, God's way of growing us and refining us. It hurts but is so necessary. 

And even though I complain all the way through it, I'm grateful that He gives me what I need, just when I need it.

KC



No comments:

Post a Comment