Wednesday, December 3, 2014

the truth about kids

I have been blessed to be an auntie to 4 nieces and 4 nephews, ranging in age from 20 to 9. I love being an aunt! When my first niece was born, I raced to the hospital to meet her. If I remember correctly, I skipped out on playing in a volleyball game and made my best friend drive me! I adore my nieces and nephews. ❤️

We've tried to make our door always open to our nieces and nephews. For that reason my oldest brother's 2 kids, K and M, have spent a good amount of time at our house. When you spend a lot of time at someone's house, you tend to see the good, the bad, and the ugly! Our house has all three. 

Raising kids is not a an easy task. K and M have been witness to our struggles, our frustrations, our irritations, and the difficulties in being parents. We don't hide it from them. And the great thing is that they step in as older cousins to help teach our kids to respect and obey their parents, and sometimes they just help entertain the monkeys for us! 🙊 

But I've realized something: I need to make sure that I am also sharing the amazingness (is that a word? Doesn't matter - you get it) of being a parent. There is no joy like being a mommy. A parent's love is immeasurable. Everything I do, I do with my children (and husband) in mind. I would give my life for these two beautiful children we are raising. 

I won't deny that parenting is hard work. The tears I've cried, the heartbreak I have felt, the disappointment, frustration, and hurt that have come from being a mom are real. But those feelings are far surpassed by the fierce love I have for my children. 

It doesn't happen very often, but I lack the words to describe the depth of what it means to be a parent. It is....amazing. 

Being a parent is a gift of God, one that I am continually grateful for, even on the tough days.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment