Sunday, July 20, 2014

becoming me

A few years back I made a realization: I didn't know who I was outside of being a wife and especially being a mom. There is nothing wrong with finding your identity in being a wife and mom. But for me, a part of me was missing.

So you know what I did? I began to search out who I was and started becoming her. 

I embraced my piano playing again.
And started teaching piano lessons.
I started a small business. (Very small - I don't have time for anything but a teeny business!)
I took a leadership role in our local MOMS Club.
I became a CrossFit trainer.
I ran my first (and currently only) half marathon.
I started substitute teaching.
I got in the habit of saying yes to risks and adventures instead of always saying no.
I worked at developing new friendships.
I became more open, honest, and out-going with people.
I started writing music.
And started this blog.
I took more chances and ended up with great memories because of those choices.

I looked at who I wanted to become and then started.

Often times I was pushed outside of my comfort zone. Talking to people I didn't know. Being a leader when I used to have no confidence. Taking on challenges that I knew could possibly fail. Saying, "Sure, why not?! That could be fun!" Sometimes it was hard work. Some things took a lot of time. Physically I've pushed passed limits that I had put in front of me. But more importantly, mentally I became stronger. 

I decided it is more fun to live life taking chances and experiencing new things than to do the same ol', same ol'. The memories I will have. The stories I will tell. And I kinda figure that the more experiences I have in life, the more ways and options God can use me in someone else's life.

I'm still not exactly who I want to be, but I figure that's going to take a lifetime to accomplish. And that's okay with me - it'll be fun getting there!

KC



No comments:

Post a Comment