Sunday, July 13, 2014

me, myself, and i

I'll be honest, (because I usually am), I can be a pretty selfish person. When I buy McDonalds, I take the largest container of fries for myself. (Sorry, kids!) If there is any chocolate in the house, I have no problem eating the last piece. I don't let my daughter borrow my clothes, much to her chagrin (but that's primarily because she's only 8 years old!) I'm kind of apprehensive about loaning out my truck because...well, because it's mine and I kinda love it. And sometimes when I go to Starbucks, I don't buy anything for the kids, not even a cake pop! Just my own strawberry iced tea. So selfish.

But the truth is, if I were to dig down deep on many of the choices I make in life, chances are pretty good that I am seeing how the decision would be beneficial to either me to my family. It's the human side of me; the sinful, selfish side.

Recently I was reminded of this concept: what if I looked at everything I was given as belonging to God? The fact of the matter is that it does all belong to Him. He has given it to us to see how we can use it to benefit others for Him.

And to take it one step farther: what if we walked into every situation in life with the attitude of "what can I give here?" instead of "what can I get?" 

We weren't created for ourselves. We were created to be used by God to help grow His kingdom. You know why? Because His kingdom is spectacularly awesome. And He decided that someday He'll let me in. And if He is willing to let a forgiven stinker like me in, then out of gratitude, I will give of myself to do what He has asked of me to help direct others in the same direction.

And if that means I have to loan out my truck....*sigh*.... I will.

KC

Philippians 2:3

Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;

No comments:

Post a Comment